Thursday, August 1, 2013

A reason, a season, a lifetime...


I've come across this poem many times over the years and it's words have stuck with me. I have thought of them when I have welcomed new friends into my life, lost them without reason and shared experiences with others who remain an integral and valuable part of my life.

There have been times when I have grieved the loss of a friendship and wondered was it me, what did I do, how could I have done things differently, but I really do believe that some friendships are not meant to last forever. A special person has come into my life or me into theirs to meet a need and see them through a period in our lives, when that need is met, then our paths diverge and we continue on in different directions. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, just how life is.

I have recently had cause to think about this poem, not because a friendship has come to a natural end, but because I have been reminded how special some of my friendships are and how grateful I am to have such thoughtful and amazing people in my life. They have been in my life for more than a reason and it's been longer than a season since we met. I'm hoping they are a lifetime variety of flower, but even if they're not, I treasure all that they bring to my life. They include friends I may not see or chat to for a couple of weeks or months, but when we do it's like we never stopped chatting and a long lunch of two or three hours feels like 10 minutes.

I'm still in my early 30s, so I can't say if any of my friendships are for a lifetime. I'm always hopeful, but friendships that last a lifetime are rare and not always something we get to experience.

Another way of looking at it, is that our friendships are a garden, they need nurturing and tendering, they are made up of many types of flowers, all unique in their own way. Some of the flowers last just one summer, others appear for a few summers before they fall away and then there are those that continue to bloom year after year, sometimes with just a sprinkling of care and attention, other years they bloom with lots of catch ups, chats and good times.

Reason Season Lifetime

People always come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime.
When you figure out which it is, you know exactly what to do.
When someone is in your life for a REASON,
It is usually to meet a need you have expressed outwardly or inwardly.
They have come to assist you through a difficulty,
Or to provide you with guidance and support,
To aid you physically, emotionally, or even spiritually.
They may seem like a godsend to you, and they are.
They are there for the reason you need them to be.
Then, without any wrong doing on your part or at an inconvenient time,
This person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.
Sometimes they die. Sometimes they just walk away.
Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.
What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done.
The prayer you sent up has been answered and it is now time to move on.

When people come into your life for a SEASON,
It is because your turn has come to share, grow, or learn.
They may bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh.
They may teach you something you have never done.
They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy.
Believe it! It is real! But, only for a season.
And like Spring turns to Summer and Summer to Fall,
The season eventually ends.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons;
Those things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation.
Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person anyway;
And put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas in your life.

It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.
Thank you for being part of my life,
Whether you were a reason, a season or a lifetime.

This poem is by an unknown author and has appeared in various forms all over the internet.

Do you have friendships that have helped you through a challenging period in your life? Others that have lasted longer than a reason and ones that have lasted a lifetime?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails