Sunday, September 15, 2013

A simple recipe for gluten free banana bread

I have a few family members and friends who either have coeliac disease or are gluten intolerant. For me, reducing my intake of gluten is more of a lifestyle choice, but I'm always on the hunt for good gluten free recipes for hubby and Miss S to enjoy and to cook for family and friends. 

A friend recommended trying the White Wings gluten free self raising and plain flours and she advised it was as simple as replacing standard flours with these gluten free ones. I admit I was a little doubtful, but I gave it a whirl and was amazed at how good this banana bread tasted. 

This is a recipe I originally found online and tinkered with a little.

Unfortunately I was unable to find the White Wings gluten free flours at my local supermarket but was able to find them at a larger Coles supermarket near my office. They are a little dearer but well worth it. 

Ingredients

1 and 3/4 cups White Wings gluten free self raising flour
1/4 cup White Wings gluten free plain flout
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup skim milk
2 eggs, lightly whisked
50g butter, melted
2 overripe medium bananas, mashed

What I also really like about this recipe is that the ingredients are always in either my pantry or my fridge. And it's a great way to use those over ripe bananas!

Method

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Brush an 11 x 21 cm loaf pan with butter to lightly grease. Line the base and sides with non-stick baking paper.

Sift the combined flours and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre. Place the milk, eggs, melted butter and banana in a medium bowl, and stir until well combined. 

Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the top with ground cinnamon (I love cinnamon).

Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes and check a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside for five minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into slices to serve. 

The banana bread can be eaten fresh or toasted over the next few days. I love it with a nice thick coating of butter! Mmmm!

And best of all, it's a recipe that hubby and Miss S love.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails