Monday, June 14, 2010

Books, books and more books

I read one of MamaMia’s posts last week and thought I’m not alone. Mia wrote about the pile of books next to her bed. I too have a pile of books next to my bed and it seems to be growing by the week.

I love reading, always have. My mum placed a lot of importance on reading from an early age. She would read to my sister and I and then encourage us to read on our own once we could. I remember coming home from school with the book club catalogue and selecting the books we wanted to buy that month. I don’t ever remember my mum saying no. As a result we would come home with our new books and we’d be in heaven.

Mum also kept many of her childhood favourites, including Enid Blyton’s Famous Five and Secret Seven novels and the timeless Little Women. I still have these classic titles in my bookshelf to this day. I could go on for pages about the books I treasure. My passion for reading and books is actually one of the many things my husband loves about me. He is determined that our little ones will have the opportunity to experience the same pleasure I received from reading.

Anyway, to the book collection beside my bed. For the record I am only able to read one book at a time. Part of the joy of reading for me is to commit to a book and its characters and stick with them for the journey.

Eat, pray, love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Now a major motion picture starring Julia Roberts, I am determined to read this book before I see the movie. Thanks to the lovely Michelle for lending me this one. It’s my current book.

The girl who kicked the hornets' nest by Stieg Larsson. While the subject matter is very dark and violent I couldn’t stop reading the first two books in this trilogy. I’m really looking forward to reading the third book where I'm hoping the lead character, Lisbeth Salander, comes out on top.

Dreams of hope by Lily O’Connor. This is one from a handful my mother-in-law lent me. It’s a memoir of an Irish woman who emigrates to Australia in the 1950s. I really enjoy reading about real people and real lives.

Against all odds by Kevin Perkins. Another biography, this time about racing icon Gai Waterhouse. Another book from my mother-in-law.

The Strength of a Nation by Michael McKernan focuses on Australians at home and overseas during the war years 1939 to 1945. I love history and this period in time is particularly fascinating for me. The third book from my mother-in-law.

L.A.Noir by James Ellroy. I’m not sure if I will like this crime trilogy but my aunt tells me she loved it, so willing to give it a go.

Pearl in a Cage by Joy Dettman is set in the years between the mid 1920s and 1940s in rural Australia. I haven’t read any other books by the author, but looking forward to giving it a go.

And finally, Up the Duff by Kaz Cooke. With babies hopefully somewhere in the future, I figure I better find out what it all involves. But since it’s at the bottom of my pile of books, who knows when I will get there.

Finally, in addition to the books beside my bed, I have a collection of articles, reports and magazines on a variety of subject matters that I want to read. I really should finish reading what I have collected before continuing to add to the pile. I really should, but I know I won’t. So all book recommendations welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails