Sunday, June 9, 2013

The perfect chocolate brownie recipe

I've always been on the lookout for the perfect brownie recipe. After many, many attempts and eating lots of test recipes (halfheartedly of course) I have finally found the recipe that ticks all the boxes.
  • Easy to cook 
  • Gooey texture (essential for a good brownie, otherwise it's just a chocolate slice)
  • Ingredients that can be found in most pantries 
This is a Donna Hay recipe. To be honest whenever I follow a Donna Hay recipe I usually have to tweak it in some way whether it needs more mixing or beating, a little more of one ingredient or a fraction longer in the oven, but this recipe I have followed to the letter and the brownies turn out just right.

Melt and mix brownies (tips my own)
200g dark chocolate (I use Nestle Plaistowe - can be found in most supermarkets)
250g unsalted butter, chopped (Western Star) 
2 tablespoons cocoa, sifted (Cadbury Bourneville)
2 cups brown sugar 
1 1/3 cups plain flour, sifted
1/4 teaspoon baking powder, sifted 
4 eggs (room temperature)

Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius (fan forced)
Place chocolate, butter and cocoa in saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and smooth



Place sugar, flour and baking powder in a bowl
Make a well in the centre and pour in chocolate mixture
Add eggs and mix to combine



Pour mixture into lightly greased 20cm square cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 55-60 mins or until brownie is just set in the centre (I find 55 mins pretty spot on)

(please excuse the little piece missing - I had to check it was cooked)

Allow to stand in the tin for 10 mins if serving warm or cool in the tin. Makes 16 squares (always cut into squares in the tin).



My final tip - sprinkle with a little bit of icing sugar for a bit of fancy!

I'd love to hear about one of your favourite recipes...

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm... Looks delicious. I would sneak a bit out of the tray too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The all important taste test Natalie! It has to be done :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails